Re: Problem with accesing Oracle from plperlu functionwhen using remote pg client.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tomasz Olszak <tolszak(at)o2(dot)pl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with accesing Oracle from plperlu functionwhen using remote pg client.
Date: 2009-03-16 21:22:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <
> heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Because that's what a respectable business does when a customer runs into a
>> bug with software they sell.
>
> It's not a bug, it's expected behavior.

You really call it expected that a process with a parenthesis in the
process title can't use OCI, but gets an obscure error message instead?
Sure, it's a corner case, and in most cases it can be worked around, but
it's still a bug.

Hmm, I wonder if you could do something malicious with it. Like, run a
query along the lines of "SELECT $$ (HOST=10.0.0.123) $$, connect()... "
to divert the connection to another server.

--
Heikki Linnakangas