Remaining items for 8.4 (was Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1710))

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Joshua Brindle <method(at)manicmethod(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Subject: Remaining items for 8.4 (was Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1710))
Date: 2009-03-16 13:54:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Well, we have been trying to go simplify the SE-PostgreSQL patch since
> September, and while we have made progress, we still have work to do,
> and at this point I think we have run out of time. I think we have
> given it a fair shot, but I don't think it is going to make 8.4.

Agreed. At some point we just have to wrap up and cut the release.
Tweaking indefinitely is not fair to all those patches that have already
been pushed back, nor to those that have already been committed and are
waiting to be released as part of 8.4.

Apart from SE-PostgreSQL, we have four remaining items on the commitfest
page:

GIN fast insert

I agree with Tom that we should just disable regular index scans for
GIN. If someone misses it in 8.4, we can try to find a way to do it
safely in 8.5. Removing existing capability is a bit worrisome, but I'm
even less happy with the "out of memory" condition in this patch and in
the partial match patch that has been committed already. That really
needs to be cleaned up.

B-Tree emulation for GIN

I think this is in pretty good shape.

Improve Performance of Multi-Batch Hash Join for Skewed Data Sets

I believe everyone's happy with the performance testing that's been
done. Some of the logic ought to be moved to the planner, and maybe
there's some other cleanup to do.

Proposal of PITR performance improvement

Hmm. The first version of this was submitted back in October, as an
external tool. There's still some outstanding issues:
http://archives.postgresql.org//pgsql-hackers/2008-10/msg01387.php. I
think we should push this to 8.5, for the same reasons as SE-PostgreSQL.
On the positive side, the external tool is on pgFoundry for use with 8.4
(and earlier releases too?).

--
Heikki Linnakangas