Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1710)

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Joshua Brindle <method(at)manicmethod(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Subject: Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1710)
Date: 2009-03-16 02:56:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Would it make sense to instead of removing and deferring pieces bit by bit to
> > instead work the other way around? Extract just the part of the patch that
> > maps SELinux capabilities to Postgres privileges as a first patch? Then
> > discuss any other parts individually at a later date?
>
> I think that makes sense. Implement just a very basic core in a first
> patch, and start adding checks slowly, one patch each. We have talked
> about "incremental patches" in the past.
>
> We wouldn't get "unbreakable PostgreSQL" in a single commit, but we
> would at least start moving.
>
> The good thing about having started in the opposite direction is that by
> now we know that the foundation APIs are good enough to build the
> complete feature.

Well, we have been trying to go simplify the SE-PostgreSQL patch since
September, and while we have made progress, we still have work to do,
and at this point I think we have run out of time. I think we have
given it a fair shot, but I don't think it is going to make 8.4.

KaiGai-san, the only option I can offer is perhaps to list a URL for
your SE-PostgreSQL patch to be applied by people who want to use SE-PG.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com