Re: parallel restore fixes

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: parallel restore fixes
Date: 2009-03-11 16:47:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>>> OK, here 'tis.
>>
>> Looks fairly reasonable to me, but of course I haven't tested it.
>
> Well, I have to do a blitz of parallel restores next week, so
> hopefully that will hit any soft spots.

I have a known outstanding bug to do with deadlock from FKs that cross
(i.e. A has an FK that references B, and B has an FK that references A).
The solution to this could be mildly complex, but I have an outline of
it in my head. Workaround: recreate the failed FK at the end of the restore.

The only other reported problem is the one on Unixware to do with
closing the archive. I haven't been able to reproduce it on Linux or
Windows, the two platforms I test on, although it might be fixed by the
patch I just applied.

cheers

andrew