New version of TurnKey PostgreSQL appliance

From: Liraz Siri <liraz(at)turnkeylinux(dot)org>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New version of TurnKey PostgreSQL appliance
Date: 2009-03-05 03:42:23
Lists: pgsql-announce

Hello everyone,

We just released a new version of our PostgreSQL appliance:

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/appliances/postgresql

In a nutshell, this is an extremely easy way to get a PostgreSQL
instance up and running on your server or VM (VMware, VirtualBox, Xen,
KVM) of choice in just a couple of minutes.

One of the reasons often cited as to why MySQL is more popular than
PostgreSQL is ease-of-use. We're hoping to help change that, by making
it easier for people to try out PostgreSQL and see just how far the
software has come.

Changes include:

* Security: SSL support, crypto key regeneration during installation,
set database password during installation.

* Usability: confconsole support for systems with multiple NICs,
password-free login in demo mode, and added many generically useful
Webmin modules.

* Bugfix in the daily auto-updates mechanism.

* Rebuilt on top of TurnKey Core, the new common base for all software
appliances, which is assembled from Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS packages.

BTW, this was part of a wider release including 12 other new appliance
images:

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/news/good-news-everyone

Cheers,
Liraz