Re: Synchronous replication & Hot standby patches

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, "K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)" <niranjan(dot)k(at)nsn(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Synchronous replication & Hot standby patches
Date: 2009-03-01 07:21:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujii,

>> Again, I'm not planning to get rid of any existing capabilities
>
> Good
>
>> unless necessary.
>
> That is not a caveat I will accept, a priori.

While Simon stated it a bit strongly, I think it's important that you
alert people if you think you have to remove existing features in order
to make easy standby possible. It's possible that features which seem
trivial to you are used extensively by people with particular failover
requirements.

--Josh