Re: [GENERAL] 8.3 doc issue

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>, pgsql-www(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] 8.3 doc issue
Date: 2009-02-17 18:02:58
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> Tom Lane wrote:

>>> This has been complained of before. I know that the right place for our
>>> cvsweb is "anoncvs", but the "developer" address used to work and there
>>> are still many links to that in our archives as well as other places.
>>> Can't we get a redirect in there?
>>
>> Yes. It has been fixed and broken several times in the past. I think
>> this is on Marc's court; my guess is that it breaks every time Apache is
>> upgraded on that server.
>
> That makes zero sense, but let's deal with the issue vs "yet another"
> haphazard guess at the cause ...
>
> The problem appears to be that *at some point*, someone renamed the
> cvsweb.cgi script:
>
> -r-xr--r-- 1 root wheel 126590 Sep 25 21:36 cvsweb.cgi.not_used
>
> This was *ages* ago though, so am I bit confused as to how it ever
> worked ...

That is intentional. It is supposed to be a *redirect* to the new site.

> i just re-installed it and now the URL works again ... I just made two
> changes to the cvsweb.conf file itself so that it matches what is
> displayed on anoncvs as well (footer and Diff format) ...
>
> Let me know if there are any other issues / changes that need to be made

Yeah, please revert that and make it a redirect instead :-)

The problem itself is twofold. Because the link in the docbot database
should be updated to point to anoncvs and not developer. But that's not
a Marc thing :-) And the old style links (developer.pg.org) should be
made working through the redirect anyway, because there are likely a
number of such links out there that we cannot change.

//Magnus