Re: pgtune: postgresql.conf wizard

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Nathan Boley <npboley(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgtune: postgresql.conf wizard
Date: 2009-01-26 19:42:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg,

> Things I was hoping for some input on:
> -Using default_stats_target=100 doesn't seem controversial anymore,
> which makes we wonder if it makes sense to restore the original DW
> suggestion of 400 Josh suggested?

I'm going to back off from this. Following our discussion, I did some
testing on DWs belonging to my clients. The amount of time required to
ANALYZE 20m rows of a large text field at 400 is significant, as is the
bulk-out of the stats table.

Instead, I'm writing a script which increases stats for all *indexed*
columns under a named size to a user-specified level. When it's ready,
I'll add it to pgTune.

So for DW, go for 100. Not 400, though.

--Josh Berkus