Re: How can I look at a recursive table dependency tree?

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How can I look at a recursive table dependency tree?
Date: 2009-01-19 14:41:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:19:51 +0000
> Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Igor Katson wrote:
>>> Is there a way to watch all dependencies recursively without
>>> doing a drop?
>
>> BEGIN;
>> DROP CASCADE...
>> -- check things
>> ROLLBACK;
>
> Isn't it going to be a pretty expensive way to see?

Not necessarily - you're not likely to have a lot of concurrency on a
backup database. And we are all testing this sort of stuff on a backup
database, aren't we?

> Is the default log level enough to take note of the things that will
> be touched? (including eg. sequences, indexes etc...)?

I don't think so. You could pull the information from pg_depend
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/catalog-pg-depend.html) which
is what the DROP will be doing.

--
Richard Huxton