suggestions/hints for multimaster solution

From: Gerd König <koenig(at)transporeon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: suggestions/hints for multimaster solution
Date: 2009-01-09 10:32:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

we're looking for a multi-master solution (whole database not only some
tables) for our production database (Postgres 8.3.5 64bit on OpenSuse),
and I wanted to know what are your experiences/suggestions with/for such
a scenario (multimaster for failover purpose).
I know there are some tools, but :
* bucardo -> not for failover
* pg_cluster -> frozen, currently unavailable, old ..?!?

Perhaps we should have a look at
* pg_pool(II)
* clustering solution from Cybertec, called "cybercluster"

We want to implement it on 2 servers with identical hardware -> shared
nothing architecture. One of them contains the production database already.

any help appreciated...GERD...