ONLY with parentheses

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ONLY with parentheses
Date: 2009-01-08 13:34:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

While working on TRUNCATE with ONLY, I said to myself, hmm, when writing

TRUNCATE ONLY a, b

it might be a bit confusing whether the ONLY refers to a or both a and
b. Then I noticed that the SQL standard requires parentheses, like

TRUNCATE ONLY (a), b

which is clearer. While we support that in gram.y, I don't see it
anywhere in the documentation.

Should we document this and emphasize it as having more clarity?