Re: Cannot restart postgresql when increasing max_connections

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot restart postgresql when increasing max_connections
Date: 2009-01-08 12:20:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Thom Brown wrote:
> It is running on 64-bit Gentoo 2.6.25.
>
> You might be right about needing to increase the shared buffers. Thanks for
> the suggestion. I'll have to give that a try

If shared_buffers was so small that you can't handle the connections you
might benefit from one of the links on this page.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Performance_Optimization

Try the first one, that gives you a good overview.

Oh and if you're running a web-application consider connection pooling -
pgbouncer or pgpool.

Oh, and upgrade from 8.3.1 to the latest in the 8.3 series at your
earliest convenience.

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning

--
Richard Huxton