Re: pg_restore : out of memory

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Franck Routier <franck(dot)routier(at)axege(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore : out of memory
Date: 2008-12-19 01:50:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

Franck Routier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to restore a table out of a dump, and I get an 'out of
> memory' error.

- Operating system?
- PostgreSQL version?
- PostgreSQL configuration - work_mem, shared_buffers, etc?

> So, here is my question : is pg_restore supposed to eat all memory ?

No, but PostgreSQL's backends will if you tell them there's more memory
available than there really is.

> and
> is there something I can do to prevent that ?

Adjust your PostgreSQL configuration to ensure that shared_buffers,
work_mem, etc are appropriate for the system and don't tell Pg to use
more memory than is actually available.

pg_restore isn't using up your memory. The PostgreSQL backend is.

--
Craig Ringer