turnkey release schedule relative to upstream updates

From: Liraz Siri <liraz(at)turnkeylinux(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>, turnkey-discuss(at)lists(dot)turnkeylinux(dot)org
Subject: turnkey release schedule relative to upstream updates
Date: 2008-12-10 08:43:48
Lists: pgsql-www

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> Liraz stated that they don't package PG themselves, just redistribute
>> the Ubuntu package quasi-automatically. So they have no need to be on
>> pgsql-packagers.
>
> Just because they pull *security* updates automatically doesn't make
> them fully synced with our releases. Not every minor release becomes a
> security update in Ubuntu.
>
> Also, I'd expect that a community-endorsed packaging also follows new
> major releases. I don't know if we have that commitment here.

Here's how it works from our side. TurnKey inherits what Ubuntu
packages. Ubuntu inherit what Debian packages. Debian's policy is to
backport security fixes to update stable installations (e.g., etch)
while simultaneously staying on the cutting edge for unstable
distributions (e.g., sid).

Since we feel that TurnKey appliances which are built for server roles
should prioritize stability over cutting edge features, we only build
appliances from supposedly well-tested, stable sources with good long
term support.

Currently, all our appliances are based on Ubuntu 8.04.1 which is a LTS
(long term release) version that Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu)
has committed to supporting with updates for 5 years from the release
date.

> Perhaps there should be a second heading or category or page for
> appliances, pre-integrated environments and live CDs, and they are
> allowed to have a more relaxed release schedule.

I'd like to point out that all of your downstream users have a more
relaxed release schedule. Downstream doesn't consider the packages built
from your stable upstream releases truly stable until they have been
tested by their more adventurous userbase.

Cheers,
Liraz