Re: user-based query white list

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: Grzegorz Jaskiewicz <gj(at)pointblue(dot)com(dot)pl>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: user-based query white list
Date: 2008-12-06 18:30:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:

> On 2008-12-06, at 18:21, Andrew Chernow wrote:
>
>> Looking for a way to limited a user to a specific set of queries. I
>> don't think this can be done right now ... or can it? Has this
>> feature request surfaced in the past?
>>
>> I currently need this as an extra security measure for a libpq client
>> app (want to block arbitrary queries from malicious attackers). The
>> easiest way I found was to add some query_string checks into
>> backend/tcop/postgres.c for the 'Q' and 'P' commands in
>> PostgresMain(). Seems to work just fine. If it doesn't match, I
>> issue an ereport FATAL since that is seen as a "malicious query
>> execution attempt".
>>
>> I think it is something rather simple to design/implement (probably
>> use a table of user allowed queries, support regex matches, etc..
>> loaded at session startup and SIGHUP).
>
> Can it be done with views, and adjusting permissions so user is only
> allowed to use few views ??

Not sure. The client I am working on only calls functions, small API to
interact with (no knowledge of views or tables). Even if that were not the
case, would views stop a client from sending in other queries, like "SELECT 1+1"
or something that could bog down the server?

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC