Re: SQL/MED compatible connection manager

From: Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL/MED compatible connection manager
Date: 2008-12-06 17:34:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> If I read this right, SQL/MED requires option names to be unique for a
> server. To this needs to be rethought.

Attached is another revision of the connection manager, notable changes:
* Generic options are now standard compliant -- no duplicate option names,
possibility to alter individual options.
* information_schema views, added to the end of the file, using chapter
numbers from part 5 of the standard. Qualified names are used in fdw
and server names unless directly visible.
* Added documentation for the connection lookup functions in "System
Administration Functions". Also documented the new system catalogs.
* Example dblink implementation. Added functions dblink_connect_s,
dblink_exec_s, dblink_s that operate on predefined foreign servers.
No documentation or regression tests at the moment. Some examples at:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SqlMedConnectionManager#dblink

I'll also change the commitfest status to "Pending review" -- the features
are complete and I'm not actively working on the code.

regards,
Martin

Attachment Content-Type Size
connection-manager-1206.patch.gz application/x-gzip 53.7 KB
dblink.patch text/x-diff 8.8 KB