Re: In-place upgrade: catalog side

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: In-place upgrade: catalog side
Date: 2008-12-04 07:21:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> Greg Smith napsal(a):
>>> -There are 10 TODO items listed for the pg_migrator project, most or
>>> all of which look like should be squashed before this is really
>>> complete. Any chance somebody (Korry?) has an improved version of
>>> this floating around beyond what's in the pgfoundry CVS already?
>>
>> As I mentioned before pg_migrator and pg_upgrade.sh is not good way.
>> It is workaround. It does not make sense to continue in this way.
>
> Why not?

Problem is the pg_dump does not export all important data for upgrade. For
example relfileid and so on. However, biggest problem here are dropped columns
(thanks to point me on this issue). Dropped column does not have information
about type. It could be possible to fake it somehow during a dump and drop them
again after restore, but I'm not convinced that it is what we want.

The solution is good now as a starter, but it is far from final solution.

Zdenek