Re: PiTR and other architectures....

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: PiTR and other architectures....
Date: 2008-12-02 14:21:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Philip Warner wrote:
> Having just tried to restore a 64 bit BSD database to a 32 bit linux
> machine (using PiTR), I have now realized the (with hindsight, obvious)
> error in my ways.
>
> Now, I need to plan a way forward. From reading of other peoples similar
> problems, I now realize that I need a system with identical on-disk
> formats. Question is:
>
> Is there a simple way to determine compatibility? (eg. a small
> well-defined list of requirements)

initdb on one platform, copy the data directory over to the other
system, and try to start postmaster. It will complain if the on-disk
format is not compatible.

You can also run pg_controlinfo on both systems, and compare the
results. If the "Maximum data alignment", and all the values below it in
the pg_controlinfo output match, the formats are compatible.

--
Heikki Linnakangas