Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes

From: justin <justin(at)emproshunts(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Geoffrey <lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Favorite Tom Lane quotes
Date: 2008-12-02 03:51:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>
>> We really need a favorite Tom Lane quotes thread. Mine is (roughly):
>>

>> We don't support that, but you're free to try it, you just get to keep
>> both pieces if it breaks.
>>

> Hate to disillusion you, but that's a standard comment around Red Hat.
> I have no idea who said it first, but twasn't me.

i took this off Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Lane_(Open_Source_Software_Developer)

On idiotic benchmark comparisons "Try to carry 500 people from Los
Angeles to Tokyo in an F-15. No? Try to win a dogfight in a 747. No? But
they both fly, so it must be useful to compare them... especially on the
basis of the most simplistic test case you can think of. For extra
points, use *only one* test case. Perhaps this paper can be described as
"comparing an F-15 to a 747 on the basis of required runway length