Re: pg_standby supported versions

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_standby supported versions
Date: 2008-11-27 18:56:09
Lists: pgsql-docs

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 22:14 +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>

>> Exactly, after posting this I discovered the relevant CVS logs for
>> changes to support restartable recovery. It seems to me that perhaps a
>> little more detail in the docs would be good here.
>>

> I would hope that the complete absence of anything would be all that is
> required to dissuade people. We don't ever update the docs to say "BTW
> feature X is not supported until next release". Not sure we should start
> now.

While I understand, I also think it is perfectly reasonable to clarify
why a specific minimum version is being recommended. To me this conforms
to the open source spirit of telling folk why something is true, as
opposed to stating that it is.

I'm thinking of something like:

<para>

pg_standby is designed to work with PostgreSQL 8.2 and later, as it
requires the ability to interrupt and restart recovery (absent in
earlier server versions).

</para>