Re: What's going on with pgfoundry?

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's going on with pgfoundry?
Date: 2008-11-26 18:51:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Dave Page wrote:
>

>> It's the same IP address - but try port 35 for ssh. Marc changed it
>> (temporarily) due to a vast number of malicious connection attempts.
>>

> Why wasn't this change communicated to anyone, not even gforge-admins?
> How temporary is temporary?
>
> Kris Jurka

I can't speak to the administrative and communications aspects, but
based on my experience, I can recommend communicating to the appropriate
users and making the change permanent.

I have changed the external ssh port on all machines I administer. The
result is the complete elimination of the previous hundreds to thousands
of daily script-kiddie brute-force attempts I used to see.

Obscurity should not be your *only* line of defense, but camouflage
helps as well. And even if it didn't, it still reduces server-load,
bandwidth and heaps of logfile cruft.

Cheers,
Steve