Re: TABLE command

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TABLE command
Date: 2008-11-18 14:01:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Hmm. Given the current infrastructure for \h, the only way to do that
> would be to make a separate ref page for WITH, which feels like the
> wrong thing. And the objection I have to TABLE is not the code but the
> apparent need to give it its own ref page (as we already did for VALUES,
> and I found that pretty ugly too).
>
> Is there a way to make all of these point at the SELECT ref page?

I was looking into that and I figured using the \G expression in Perl
REs would be useful for this (to find multiple <refname>s). But this
was introduced in Perl 5.000, and we claim to support Perl 4 in
create_help.pl. I recall that you Tom once arranged this to support
building on some old machines. Is this still relevant?

Or can someone advise on an alternative way to code this?