Re: libpq-events windows gotcha

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq-events windows gotcha
Date: 2008-11-13 18:58:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> And it's not even
> clear to me that it fixes the problem: wouldn't you get two different
> handles if you supplied the internal and external addresses of an
> eventproc?

Both #1 and #4 suffer from this issue, internal & external register
methods. They also require the same WARNING in the docs. But, #1
solves the instancedata lookup issue. I am not trying to make a case
for #1 but it does appear to have a narrower failure window.

> libpq has to deal with generating the handles
Well lock; if(not_in_map) handle = ++counter; unlock surely won't be to
difficult ;-)

> (threading issues here)
There is no unregister, so the idea won't lock/unlock in high traffic
routines.

> On the whole I vote for #4 out of these.

Okay.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC