Re: postgresql and Mac OS X

From: Tom Allison <tom(at)tacocat(dot)net>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql and Mac OS X
Date: 2008-11-05 11:37:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Allison wrote:
>>> The question is *why* the location is nonstandard.
>>
>> Starting with Xcode 3, all the developer tools get installed under the
>> Developer directory, in order to allow one to easily have multiple
>> versions
>> of Xcode installed alongside each other. The question then is why the OP
>> doesn't also have make in /usr/bin, or why his path is configured so
>> that it
>> finds /Developer/usr/bin first--*that* is what is non-standard.
>>

> There is an option during installation for a Unix Tools installation.
> Which puts everything where it's expected.

Made great progress on getting everything to work.
I'm down to one detail....

It runs, it starts with the notebook on boot.
But there is no logging...

When I do the install script in contrib it says I have no rights to the
directory. It was in /usr/local/pgsql/data/log and I changed it to
/usr/local/pgsql/log. It was set as root.wheel with 755 permissions so
I suspect it's mad at me because the postgres user was left in the cold.

Now - I have what I hope is the last question related to Mac OSX and not
so much the Postgresql. How do you start/stop services without
rebooting the machine? I tried launchctl but it's not listed.