Re: [HACKERS] pg_regress in C

From: "Joachim Wieland" <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pg_regress in C
Date: 2006-07-18 04:05:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On July 18, 1:06 am Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> > Per discussion at the conference:
> > In order to run the regression tests on Windows without msys,
> > pg_regress needs to be reimplemnted in C.
>
> This has some minor portability issues (macros with ... aren't portable,
> for instance) but I think it's something we need to do. Barring
> objections I'm going to clean up and apply it.

I've sent Magnus a patch a few days ago (but he seems to be without
internet connection already), maybe it can help you. I just fixed it such
that it worked for my non-standard install path.

I also did a small patch for the Makefile to compile and call pg_regress.

I append both patches (and hence won't send this mail to -hackers)

I also proposed to make pg_regress more modular some time ago:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-06/msg00212.php

A similar approach should be kept in mind as an enhancement to the C version.

Joachim

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_regress.1.diff text/x-patch 2.4 KB
pg_regress.c.1.diff text/x-patch 6.4 KB