Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements
Date: 2008-10-20 12:54:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>> I'm not sure what should be in the main and what should not.
>> Why is pg_freespacemap still in contrib?
>
> I don't know, why is it? :-)

I guess that was a joke, given the smiley, but I'll bite:

1. pg_freespacemap is intimately tied to the implementation of the FSM.
It was completely overhauled in the FSM rewrite, and there's no
guarantee it won't change again in the future to reflect changes in the
FSM implementation. And if it does, we won't bother to provide an easy
upgrade path, so existing queries using it will brake. For the same
reason it's in contrib and not pgFoundry: it's very dependent on the
server version.

2. It's not useful for the general public.

--
Heikki Linnakangas