Re: 8.3 .4 + Vista + MingW + initdb = ACCESS_DENIED

From: Charlie Savage <cfis(at)savagexi(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.3 .4 + Vista + MingW + initdb = ACCESS_DENIED
Date: 2008-10-14 08:43:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It's on my list to discuss it with Magnus when we meet in Italy
> tomorrow. The simple fix is to back out the change that broke it,
> which leaves us in our previous broken-but-less-severely state (which
> is what we did for the binary packages).

If you mean reverting the patch that Mangus mentioned, I tried that, and
it did not solve the problem. See:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-09/msg01517.php

So I'm guessing it is something else.

>> This is in *URGENT* need of a fix.
>
> I can't see us pushing a point release for this alone (I think I've
> seen two reports of people running into the problem when building from
> source themselves, and one was internal here in EDB), so the urgency
> is simply to ensure it's fixed before we do produce our next release
> imho.

Well - building your own Postgres 8.3 on Windows using MingW appears
broken. Not sure how many people fall into that category, but its seems
like a fairly major issue.

Charlie