Re: parallel pg_restore - WIP patch

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: parallel pg_restore - WIP patch
Date: 2008-09-26 08:27:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Attached is my WIP patch for parallel pg_restore. It's still very rough,
> but seems to work.
>
> Anyone who can test this with highend equipment would be helping some.

tried playing with this(on a 22Gb compressed dump using 4 connections)
but it does not seem to work at all for me:

pg_restore: [custom archiver] out of memory
pg_restore: [custom archiver] could not uncompress data: invalid block type
pg_restore: [custom archiver] out of memory
pg_restore: [custom archiver] could not uncompress data: invalid stored
block lengths
pg_restore: [custom archiver] out of memory
pg_restore: [custom archiver] out of memory
pg_restore: [custom archiver] could not uncompress data: invalid
distance too far back
pg_restore: [custom archiver] could not uncompress data: invalid
distances set
pg_restore: [custom archiver] could not uncompress data: invalid code
lengths set
pg_restore: [custom archiver] could not uncompress data: incorrect data
check
pg_restore: [custom archiver] could not uncompress data: invalid code
lengths set
pg_restore: [custom archiver] out of memory
pg_restore: [custom archiver] out of memory
pg_restore: [custom archiver] out of memory
pg_restore: [custom archiver] out of memory
pg_restore: [custom archiver] could not uncompress data: invalid
literal/length code
pg_restore: [custom archiver] could not uncompress data: invalid
literal/length code
pg_restore: [custom archiver] could not uncompress data: invalid block type

each pg_restore process seem to eat a few gigabytes of memory in a few
seconds.

Stefan