Re: code coverage patch

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Michelle Caisse <Michelle(dot)Caisse(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: code coverage patch
Date: 2008-09-05 13:04:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michelle Caisse wrote:
> Thanks, I'll take a look at these issues.

I have committed your patch with some rework that mainly addresses the
concerns also found by Alvaro with regard to cleaning and dependency
handling. I have renamed the out target to coverage-html, to be more in
line with our other targets. So the workflow is now

./configure --enable-coverage
make
make check
make coverage-html
$BROWSER coverage/index.html

There are a couple of platform-specific problems that I have come across:

* Linux (Debian) works OK
* FreeBSD build fails, apparently because libgcov.a was not compiled
with -fPIC
* Mac OS X builds and runs OK but the server does not shut down in
finite time at the end of the regression tests; it has to be killed
manually.

I have uploaded an example run here:
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/coverage/

Current test coverage is about 66% overall.