Re: Trigger function is not called

From: Bill <pg(at)dbginc(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PgSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trigger function is not called
Date: 2008-08-25 23:30:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Bill <pg(at)dbginc(dot)com> writes:
>
>> PostgreSQL 8.3 on Windows. I have the table below which has a before
>> insert trigger. The CREATE TRIGGER statement and the trigger function
>> are also shown below.
>>

> The script you show attempts to create the trigger before creating the
> function, which of course isn't going to work. Did you check whether
> the trigger actually got created?
>
> regards, tom lane

The trigger was definitely created. The code I posted was not a script
that I used to create the trigger and trigger function. I just copied
the SQL from pgAdmin and pasted the commands into my message not paying
any attention to the order. Sorry for the confusion.

In a newsgroup posting someone suggested that constraint checks on
domains occur before the before insert trigger. That seems difficult to
believe based on my experience with other databases. Do constraint
checks on domains occur before the before insert trigger?

Bill