Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Subject: Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf
Date: 2008-08-20 07:37:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:

>>> Seems a bit Unix-centric, but +1 for it on Unix machines anyway.
>>> Is there any near equivalent on Windows?
>> No. There are helpfiles (which consist of a navigation tree and a
>> bunch of pages), but they're what we use for the main docs. There's
>> nothing akin to a man page.
>
> Well, so we provide a reference to the help file and that's it. If
> there's a way to provide a link in the config file that would
> automatically open the appropriate help file on click, that would be
> perfect.

It's a text file. You can't put a clickable link in a textfile. You can
put a regular http link that the user can copy/paste into his browser,
if you want to.

AFAIK, you can't create a link that points into a CHM helpfile - you can
only point to the helpfile itself, not to a specific section in it.

We could just generate a HTML file with the same contents as the
man-page though, and link to that - thus not having to link out onto the
internet which really shouldn't be accessible from your database server :-)

//Magnus