Re: Trouble installing Drupal 5 using sockets (a little long)

From: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL List - Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trouble installing Drupal 5 using sockets (a little long)
Date: 2008-08-15 00:10:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

Bryan wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca> wrote:
>> Bryan wrote:
>>> I am trying to get my little ALIX server that is running OpenBSD
>>> 4.4-current to run pgsql. I've been successful in installing 8.3.3,
>>> and since OpenBSD uses a chrooted environment, I intend on using unix
>>> sockets for making database connections. I read the man pages, ran
>>> "initdb -D /var/postgresql/data -U postgres -A md5 -W" and edited the
>>> /var/postgresql/data/postgresql.conf file to read:
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> In postgresql, assuming an `admin' account has all rights:
>>>
>>> createuser -U admin --pwprompt --no-superuser --createdb --no-createrole
>>> drupal
>>> createdb -U drupal -E UTF8 drupal
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> When I type the following:
>>>
>>> # createuser -U admin --pwprompt --no-superuser --createdb
>>> --no-createrole drupal
>>
>> You are running createuser under your "root" account and root is not a
>> priviledged user of pgsql under OpenBSD.
>>
>> 1) login as the pgsql "admin" user (I think it's _postgresql; I changed it
>> on my system). this was created for you if you used OpenBSD package to
>> install pgsql.
>> # su - _postgresql
>> 2) Issue the createuser and createdb commands from that account.
>>

> Frank,
>
> Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I did do it with the _postgresql
> user, I just was stupid in the copy paste. I hit "#", then pasted the
> output. The error you see above is using _postgresql as the user. I
> did run the command again making sure I was _postgresql and the error
> above is still valid.
>
> I was further reading about people who were taking the source and
> building postgresql. As a option, you can set the socket directory to
> be used by the program when you build it? Shouldn't the
> postgresql.conf override that directive?

OK. I went back and took a closer look at original email. Hopefully
you are running all commands as _postgresql. Did you also read:
/usr/local/share/doc/postgresql/README.OpenBSD
Which suggests a variation to startup command?

You've shown that the socket is at /var/www/tmp/ which is great for apps
running in chroot'd apache; but it's not great for running commands at
the command line which as you can see from the error message indicate
they want to socket at /tmp/

I suspect you might need to create a symbolic link from one to the
other; but I don't know where the "real" one should be. Perhaps someone
else knows that.

If you only need the command-line to work one-time while you create the
databases; you could modify your config to have socket in /tmp/; cycle
pgsql; create user and db; modify config back to /var/www/tmp/ recycle
pgsql and get on with Drupal testing.

Frank