Re: Clone a database to other machine

From: Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: "Garg, Manjit" <mgarg(at)corbus(dot)com>
Cc: lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clone a database to other machine
Date: 2008-07-30 15:07:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On 30/07/2008 15:56, Garg, Manjit wrote:

> Actually I was looking for some method / tool (utility) which keeps both
> the database on different servers in sync automatically.

Ah, OK - I thought you meant that you needed a clone at specific
intervals. You can use Slony (www.slony.info) to do this. A couple of
caveats, however:

(i) If you use the 1.* version (the only currently stable version), you
can't use pg_dump to dump from the slaves - this is because Slony 1.*
rewrites the system catalogues in strange ways. :-)

(ii) Slony 2.0 (currently at RC1) does allow you to get a consistent
dump from the slaves, but you need to be running PostgreSQL 8.3 or later.

Ray.

rod(at)iol(dot)ie