Re: [WIP] collation support revisited (phase 1)

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Radek Strnad <radek(dot)strnad(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [WIP] collation support revisited (phase 1)
Date: 2008-07-22 16:36:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
>> I think if we support UTF8 encoding, than it make sense to create own charsets,
>> because system locales could have defined collation for that.
>
> Say what? I cannot imagine a scenario in which a user-defined encoding
> would be useful.

I did not mean user defined encoding but user defined charset. For example
cs_CZ(dot)UTF-8(at)euro locale uses UTF8 encoding and collation is defined on czech
charset which specifies list of allowed character. If somebody will have
installed e.g. Turkish locale then he will want to have also Turkish charset in
postgres. I guess, Charset also defines how upper/lower case will work (see
i/I in Turkish).

Please, correct me if I wrong.

thanks Zdenek

--