Re: FAQ correction for Windows 2000/XP

From: justin <justin(at)emproshunts(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Dan Dascalescu <ddascalescu(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FAQ correction for Windows 2000/XP
Date: 2008-07-15 10:37:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian escribió:
>
>> Dan Dascalescu wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to submit a correction for question "2.1) How do I setup a
>>> datasource?" in the FAQ. The existing text reads:
>>>
>>> "For Windows, use the ODBC Administrator in Control Panel. Here you
>>> can add, modify, or delete data sources."
>>>
>>> On Windows XP, however, there is no Control Panel applet for ODBC
>>> management. The answer should read:
>>>
>>> "Go to Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Data Sources and Add the
>>> PostgreSQL Unicode driver".
>>>
>> Uh, I am not sure where you saw this FAQ but this is not an FAQ we
>> manage. Where did you see it?
>>

> http://psqlodbc.projects.postgresql.org/faq.html#2.1

that is still incorrect because very few computers will have the display
Administrative tools in start menu turned on.

If the user has the new XP style start menu turned on the Reading should be
Start -> Control Panel-> Administrate Tools -> Data Sources (ODBC)

if the User has Classic Start menu turned on the reading is

"Go to Start-> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Data Sources (ODBC)

and off course both are wrong if users don't have classic view turned on in control panel

Another option is
Start -> Run -> type in "odbcad32.exe" minus the quotes then click OK button.

Its early still given time i could come up with a couple more ways to
get to the ODBC admin tool

I don't have a clue about Vista sense i have avoided it like the plague.