Re: 8.3.3 Complie issue

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Harvey, Allan AC" <HarveyA(at)OneSteel(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.3.3 Complie issue
Date: 2008-07-15 08:45:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Harvey, Allan AC wrote:
>> I think we've seen this before: do you have utf8_and_euc_jis_2004.c
>> in that directory? There seem to be some broken versions of tar out
>> there that can't deal with extracting such a long file name from the
>> distribution tarball.
>
> Thanks Tom,
> The "c" on the end was missing.
> Fixed that, how about this

Given that you already know your tarball extraction mangled the output,
perhaps you should delete the copy you extracted and start again using a
trustworthy tree extracted using GNU tar or similar. It's reasonable to
assume that other problems you encounter have the same root cause - your
tar program's mangling of the tree.

Try:

tar xvzf postgresql-whatever.tar.gz

--