Re: [GENERAL] pg crashing

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pg crashing
Date: 2008-07-04 10:27:07
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>>> below this is going to convert \ to /, wouldn't it be clearer to
>>> describe the path prefix as Global/PostgreSQL: in the first place?
>
>> Eh, that shows another bug I think. It should *not* convert the \ in
>> "Global\", because that one is is interpreted by the Win32 API call!
>
> I was wondering about that. What are the implications of that?

First, that the name isn't nicely readable when browsing with Process
Explorer. Second, that they will all go in the local namespace, which
means you can in theory start two postmasters in the same directory from
different terminal server sessions (this was the way it was on 8.2
already, it's a new feature for 8.3 that simply didn't work)

>> I think it should be per this patch. Seems right?
>
> Pls fix the comment on the malloc, too.

Right, will do and commit.

//Magnus