Re: A Windows x64 port of PostgreSQL

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ken Camann <kjcamann(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: A Windows x64 port of PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-07-03 17:18:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> To get a working WIN64 port it'd be necessary to go around and replace
> long with size_t/ssize_t in the places where it matters --- but there
> are not 450 of them, I don't think. And I'd advise not touching the
> places that use int; that will just bloat the patch and make it harder
> to review, without actually buying any functionality

Plus - changing them all to 64-bit integers even for cases that will not
ever require > 32-bit integers, is likely to be slower in all cases
except for cases those that can be optimized to use only registers. I
would use "int" by choice for any size that will never extend beyond 1
Gb as it is likely to perform the best.

Cheers,
mark

--