Re: TODO Item: Allow pg_hba.conf to specify host names along with IP addresses

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Dickson S(dot) Guedes" <guediz(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO Item: Allow pg_hba.conf to specify host names along with IP addresses
Date: 2008-06-13 16:47:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Dickson S. Guedes wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There is a TODO Item to allow pg_hba.conf to specify host names along
>> with IP addresses.
>>
>> I'd like to work on this feature, if nobody is working too and no
>> objection exists.
>>

> Please do --- I know of no one working on that.

The reason it wasn't done years ago was that there was disagreement on
the way it should work. And the TODO actually lists several alternatives:

Host name lookup could occur when the postmaster reads the
pg_hba.conf file, or when the backend starts. Another solution would
be to reverse lookup the connection IP and check that hostname
against the host names in pg_hba.conf. We could also then check that
the host name maps to the IP address.

So before you start actually working on it, let's see if we have a
better level of agreement on what it should do. Personally, I favor
hostname lookup on backend start but none of the others.

cheers

andrew