Re: Strange issue with GiST index scan taking far too long

From: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)siriusit(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange issue with GiST index scan taking far too long
Date: 2008-06-09 15:59:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Is the value you are fetching from the geography table large enough to
> be toasted? I'm thinking you might be looking at the cost of repeated
> de-toastings.

Yeah, it's a fairly large geometry field so it will definitely be
getting toasted. So is it a case of with the mcatest function in place,
we're effectively caching the de-TOASTED value?

> BTW, that mcatest function is buggy --- it's not copying the last
> 4 bytes of the source value. I don't know enough about PostGIS
> data types to know what effect that would have.

It would probably lose that last point in the coordinate sequence, but
nothing major. I've removed the -VARHDRSZ part just to check and it
doesn't make any difference.

Many thanks,

Mark.

--