Re: Overhauling GUCS

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date: 2008-06-06 18:46:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I grow weary of this thread. I will say it once more: I do not believe
> for one instant that the current formatting of postgresql.conf is the
> major impediment, or even a noticeable impediment, to producing a useful
> configuration wizard. If you wish to prove otherwise, provide a
> complete wizard except for the parts that touch the config file, and
> I will promise to finish it.
>
> I will not read or respond to any further discussion of changing the
> config file format. It's a waste of bandwidth.

Your statement doesn't really surprise me. Apparently you kind of
celebrate misunderstanding my point, which isn't primarily about the
file format, but about config param accessibility via api/SQL.

I personally wouldn't even think about starting such a wizard, unless I
have an idea how to push the result into the database. No, not a file,
but via SQL! So your statement you won't react unless a wizard is almost
ready is prohibitive, apart from the fact that not only wizards
(featuring AI) are interesting, but simple config tools as well.

Regards,
Andrads