Re: Unable to set postmaster to accept TCP/IP Connection

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Jose Esquivel <josearesvi(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unable to set postmaster to accept TCP/IP Connection
Date: 2008-05-25 08:46:04
Lists: pgadmin-support

Jose Esquivel a écrit :
> My name is Jose Esquivel I'm form Costa Rica, I have been using
> PostgreSQL since my first steps as a system engineer. A few days ago one
> of the applications I developed stopped working, is a Java stand-alone
> application that uses the postgresql-8.0-311.jdbc3.jar driver to connect
> to a PostgreSQL 8.0 database. I installed the DB in a Windows XP in
> order to function as a server. These are the steps I executed in order
> to make the postmaster accept TCP/IP connection:
>
> 1- Log as the posgresql user.
>
> 2- Include the Ips of the computers that are going to connect to the
> server via TCP/IP in the pg_hba.conf file as follows:
>
> host all all 192.168.16.0/24 md5
>
> I used 192.168.16.0/24 because the computers that could ask for
> connections are: 192.168.16.1, 192.168.16.2, and 192.168.16.3.
>
> 3- Set the listen_addresses = '*' in the postgresql.conf
>
> 4- Stop the postmaster using the following command:
>
> pg_ctl -stop -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\data"
>
> 5- Start the postmaster using the following commad:
>
> pg_ctl -o -i -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\data"
>
> I attached the .conf files in case I missed something. The problem is
> that these steps used to work but now I have not been able to make it
> work again, I checked the network and I could ping all of the other
> computers. Could you please tell me if I am missing something or what
> am I doing wrong?

All this seems good to me. Two advices :

1. telling us the real error message (from the client and from the
server) is the only way we can help you ;

2. this is more a PostgreSQL issue; you would better be advised to send
this kind of message on a PostgreSQL mailing list (for example pgsql-admin).

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org