Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6
Date: 2008-05-19 17:48:27
Lists: pgsql-patches
Tom Lane a écrit :
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>> Have at it then. Prove me wrong.
>
>> IMO the problem isn't the one off support for all supported version of
>> Pg... say 7.4 -> 8.4. The problem is of on going maintenance.
>
>> /me doesn't think it is worth the effort.
>
> Since no one's done it yet, that would seem to be the consensus
> opinion :-)
>
> Still, it'd be interesting to see an attempt at making it go.
> The costs of doing it now for existing versions would probably give us
> a good idea of what the future maintenance effort might be like.
> Without a real patch to look at, we're all just guessing about that.

Here is a patch that tries to implement this. Meta-commands should work
from 7.4 to 8.4-devel releases. It was not hard to do, and I don't think
it really is a burden to maintain.

One part left to fix is \du and \dg commands. I would be glad to
continue to work on this but I would prefer to have comments before.

Thanks.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.