updating all records of a table

From: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: updating all records of a table
Date: 2011-03-04 03:03:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi:

I have to update all the records of a table. I'm worried about what the table will look like in terms of fragmentation when this is finished. Is there some sort of table healing/reorg/rebuild measure I should take if I want the resulting table to operate at optimal efficiency? What about indexes, should I drop/recreate those?

(I remember the bad-ole days with Oracle where table defragging and index rebuilding was something we had to do)

Thanks for any help !