Re: Shared Buffers

From: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>
To: Siddharth Shah <siddharth(dot)shah(at)elitecore(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Shared Buffers
Date: 2009-03-02 14:40:29
Lists: pgsql-general

I believe that op system side buffering can play a role too. I our case, the DB server (machine & op sys) caches data that it pulled from disk (not necessarily from a DB) and also the disk servers do the same. If a block was removed from the DB buffer cache to accommodate more recently requested data, but the evicted block is live in memory on the DB server or the disk server, it can pull from there instead of performing an expensive disk-IO.

I humbly defer to any out there with more knowledge about this than I. Just opening up this avenue for discussion.

-dave