Re: New timezones used in regression tests

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christoph Berg <cb(at)df7cb(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New timezones used in regression tests
Date: 2014-05-12 23:16:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christoph Berg <cb(at)df7cb(dot)de> writes:
> 84df54b22e8035addc7108abd9ff6995e8c49264 introduced timestamp
> constructors. In the regression tests, various time zones are tested,
> including America/Metlakatla. Now, if you configure using
> --with-system-tzdata, you'll get an error if that zone isn't there.
> Unfortunately, this is what I'm getting now when trying to build beta1
> on Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid) with tzdata 2010i-1:

I agree, that seems an entirely gratuitous choice of zone. It does
seem like a good idea to test a zone that has a nonintegral offset
from GMT, but we can get that from almost anywhere as long as we're
testing a pre-1900 date. There's no need to use any zones that aren't
long-established and unlikely to change.

I'm quite unimpressed by the dependency on Mars/Mons_Olympus, too ... that
might not fail *today*, but considering it's a real location, assuming it
is not in the IANA database seems like a recipe for future failure.
Maybe something like Nehwon/Lankhmar? Or maybe we should not try to be
cute but just test Foo/Bar.