Re: Proposed Patch - LDAPS support for servers on port 636 w/o TLS

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: stephen layland <steve(at)68k(dot)org>, Postgres Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposed Patch - LDAPS support for servers on port 636 w/o TLS
Date: 2008-05-05 11:40:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> stephen layland <steve(at)68k(dot)org> writes:
>
>> I've written a quick patch against the head branch (8.4DEV, but it also
>> works with 8.1.3 sources) to fix LDAP authentication support to
>> work with LDAPS servers that do not need start TLS. I'd be interested
>> to hear your opinions on this.
>>

> Not being an LDAP user, I'm not very qualified to comment on the details
> here, but ...
>

>> My solution was to create a boolean config variable called
>> ldap_use_start_tls which the user can toggle whether or not
>> start tls is necessary.
>>

> ... I really don't like using a GUC variable to determine the
> interpretation of entries in pg_hba.conf. A configuration file exists
> to set configuration, it shouldn't need help from a distance. Also,
> doing it this way means that if several different LDAP servers are
> referenced in different pg_hba.conf entries, they'd all have to have
> the same encryption behavior.
>
> I think a better idea is to embed the flag in the pg_hba.conf entry
> itself. Perhaps something like "ldapso:" instead of "ldaps:" to
> indicate "old" secure ldap protocol, or include another parameter
> in the URL body.

With ldaps on port 636 STARTTLS should NEVER be issued, so the protocol
identifier ldaps should be sufficient as "do not issue STARTTLS" flag.
IMHO the current pg_hba.conf implementation doesn't follow the usual
nomenclatura; ldap with TLS is still ldap. Using ldaps as indicator for
ldap with tls over port 389 is misleading for anyone familiar with ldap.

Regards,
Andreas