Re: Odd timezone backend output

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Odd timezone backend output
Date: 2008-05-02 14:04:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Chernow wrote:

> I prefer offset from UTC, the timezone abbrevs are ambiguos and
> confusing. If I am in a timezone that is currently 4 hours behind
> UTC, I would prefer all times to display adjusted by that offset. I
> understand that technically its eastern time and EDT makes no sense in
> Jan (NOTE: linux 'date' command rejects this ... should the backend?),
> but its friendlier to adjust by a single offset (at least me thinks).
> The individual's perception of time is -0400, thus displaying all
> times adjusted by that seems logical. My whole preference here is in
> regards to display times. I always try to see things from a
> non-technical end-user's perspective.

Well, I think you're failing in this instance :-). If I see a time that
says 4.00 am June 27th tzname I understand it to be with the offset that
was current in that time zone *at that time*. And I certainly don't want
it to change depending on what the *current* offset is in that time zone
- I want it always to display the same. I bet if you take a random
sample of non-technical end-users you'll find that's exactly what the
vast majority want.

cheers

andrew