Re: Odd timezone backend output

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Odd timezone backend output
Date: 2008-05-01 14:56:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com> writes:
>> I am confused about the below results. The backend is in EDT but it is
>> converting timestamps into EST ... excluding NOW(). Regardless of the
>> timezone provided, the backend is dishing out EST.
>
> Try a date that's actually during the EDT part of the year.
>
> regards, tom lane

Different systems do different things with Daylight time. For instance:
NTFS adjusts winter file times while in daylight savings (A file time of
Jan 20 6PM reads Jan 20 7PM while in Daylight Time). Whether that is
good or bad is a different story. I don't really have a problem with
either, just needed a little clarity.

Thanks,
--
Andrew Chernow