Re: get rid of psql welcome message

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: get rid of psql welcome message
Date: 2008-04-17 19:13:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 09:30 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> * Peter Eisentraut (peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net) wrote:
>>> Around <http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-01/msg00089.php> it
>>> was proposed to truncate the psql welcome screen. What do you think about
>>> that?
>> I'd recommend an option in .psqlrc to disable it, if possible. That
>> would be in line with what alot of other "splash-screen" type things do.
>
> +1

+1

I honestly don't care that I get a few lines of garbage as I start psql
- I never really look at it myself (the first dozen times I used pg it
was probably helpful to have the help commands there).
So what if you get a few lines of text as you start a program, it
scrolls off the screen with everything else, it doesn't fill up your
drive in log files and I doubt the 250 bytes being sent across the
network for those running remotely is going to chew up anyone's
bandwidth allocation.

I do think that an rc file option (or even a ./configure option if you
want to go that far) is fine for those in the know to adjust to their
tastes - a better option than not show it once a .psql_history exists.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz